Friday, September 9, 2011

Sharp Stylings #7: Peter Daltrey

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

This one's coming a little late today because I was up late last night at the Peter Daltrey show at Cafe Du Nord. Who's Peter Daltrey, you ask? Only the lead singer/songwriter from the BEST psychedelic band of the 1960s... a little band I like to call Kaleidoscope/Fairfield Parlour!

So, in honor of his amazing show last night, I'm sharing this photo from the above linked interview from the It's Psychedelic Baby blog:

Pre-Kaleidoscope days as The Key. I don't think they were very religious though. ('80s Mods will get that one!)
Daltrey is second from the right and looking sharp in a 3-button jacket complete with ticket pocket. I wanted to talk to him last night and ask him questions about his Mod past, but I'm horrible around famous musicians. I don't like to bother them and never really know what to say. I'd rather leave them to their peace... although, I did go up to him last night and tell him how much I loved his music. I mean, when's the next time he's going to be out here, right? I also didn't bring anything to get signed, although fellow Kaleidoscope super-fan, Dennis Ryan, was kind enough to get a poster signed for me. Thanks for that, sir!

These guys all look great in this photo though. I used to be so much better at knowing all their names, so if someone can fill me on the fellow in back, that would be most appreciated. I believe it's Eddy Pumer and I love how his look is reminiscent of the early Mod photo of Mark Feld in his waistcoated outfit.

I'm tired with not much to say today so I'm just going to dig on this photo for a while, check out the Kaleidoscope video on the Anorak Thing's blog, throw on some Kaleidoscope (White-Faced Lady, of course!) or maybe some Fairfield Parlour, and then read through the It's Psychedelic Baby interview again. Great show last night and if you're in LA this weekend, try to catch him on Saturday night!

2 comments:

  1. The Key...how dare you, hast thou no reverence for... I'm proud to admit I once offered (in print) to come spank their mouthy little lead singer. Hopefully you won't get any sniping from Jeff Dexter here about it like you did on ye olde modernists group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now now! Leave Shane Riese alone, the guy got a handful of Southern California mods in touch with the almighty, and they formed a scooter club called High Power in which they basically became his goons and went out and beat people up that Shane didn't like because he had to live up to his heavenly image. Later he showed up at a show with slicked back hair, a huge hoop ring in his ear and thought he was Bono. There's one band I hope will never reunite!

    ReplyDelete